Philadelphia Area Jobs with Justice is a coalition of labor unions and student, community, and faith groups. Together, we fight for the fair treatment of workers, organizing in local communities and workplaces. We believe in long-term multi-issue coalition building, grassroots base-building, organizing, and strategic militant action as the foundation for building a workers’ movement, and we believe that by engaging a broad community of allies, we can win bigger victories.
Philly JWJ is looking for a Lead Organizer to lead our campaigns and programmatic work. The ideal candidate will excel at developing and maintaining strong relationships and building consensus among diverse stakeholders with different priorities. We are looking for someone who is excited about creating and implementing campaigns that advance economic justice in Philadelphia.
We are seeking Philadelphia-based candidates who are ready to:
- Build relationships with unions and community organizations in the Philadelphia area;
- Grow and maintain a network of activists ready to fight for their rights of working people;
- Work closely with JWJ’s leadership to develop and implement strategies for JWJ’s organizing projects;
- Represent Philly JWJ in coalition spaces, in community meetings, and at events;
- Organize actions, mobilizations, phone banks, media coverage and other activities as a part of JWJ’s issue campaigns;
- Create and execute communications plans for campaign work;
- Participate in fundraising efforts.
Applicants Should Have:
- A minimum of two years of organizing experience (does not have to be in a professional context);
- A strong commitment to worker justice and the labor movement;
- A demonstrated alignment with Philadelphia Jobs With Justice’s values and mission;
- Established relationship-building skills;
- Flexibility to work an unpredictable work schedule, including nights and weekends;
- Experience with message framing and development.
Additional preferred skills and qualifications:
- Canvassing and phone banking experience;
- A familiarity with local unions and community organizations;
- Fundraising experience;
- Access to a vehicle and a valid drivers license;
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiated, commensurate with experience, education, and internal salary guidelines. Jobs With Justice provides a competitive benefits package that includes generous paid vacation, medical, dental, and family leave.
How to Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Lead Organizer Application”
When to Apply: Now through January 15, 2019. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Philadelphia Jobs With Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, those with disabilities, and those with working class backgrounds to apply.