Philadelphia Jobs With Justice is a grassroots coalition organization with a 20+ year history of fighting for justice for working people in Philadelphia, both on the job and in our communities. We believe in long-term multi-issue coalition building, grassroots base building, organizing, and strategic action as the foundation for building a workers’ movement. We believe that by engaging a broad community of allies, we can win bigger victories.
In 2022, Philly Jobs With Justice is launching a campaign to build worker power and fight for safe and healthy workplaces in Philadelphia. The Workplace Justice organizer will play a critical role in this campaign by recruiting developing worker leaders in the warehouse and logistics sector to take action to win new workplace health and safety legislation. This is a base building position, and applicants should be prepared to spend a majority of their time recruiting, maintaining, and developing worker leaders.
This position will be primarily remote for the foreseeable future, with some in-person activity when it is safe to do so. Candidates must be located in the greater Philadelphia area with the ability to travel throughout the city. Salary range for this position is $48,000-$52,000 with generous paid time off and medical and dental benefits.
- Working with the Director to develop and execute a plan to recruit low-wage warehouse and logistics workers using a variety of tactics and strategies;
- Tracking worker leads and member engagement;
- Developing the skills of emerging worker leaders;
- Working with members to identify key workplace health and safety issues;
- Prepping member leaders to speak with press, elected officials, and partner organizations;
- Leading members to take direct action to win health & safety protections.
- Minimum 3 years experience as a base building organizer, worker organizing experience preferred;
- Familiarity with developing, launching, and executing new campaigns;
- Experience with social media platforms, primarily Facebook and Instagram;
- Access to a computer and competency with video communication platforms;
- Demonstrated experience in member leadership development;
- Understanding of issues facing low wage workers;
- Strong facilitation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Ability to balance multiple projects at once and set priorities based on long-term strategy and short-term goals;
- Willingness to experiment with a variety of recruitment strategies;
- Ability to frame issues and fights as well as articulate organizational values, strategy, and priorities to diverse audiences;
- Flexible schedule and ability to work some nights and weekends as necessary;
- Ability to drive and access to a car preferred.
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “field organizer application.” Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please include a daytime phone number and email where we can contact you. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. Applications are due February 15th 2022.
Candidates must be fully vaccinated before beginning the position. Requests for accommodations may be submitted. People of Color, People with Disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community strongly urged to apply.